From Association for Computing Machinery
We provide web hosting and e-mail services for Poly students, clubs, faculty, etc. To request an account, e-mail the administrator. Once you have an account, refer to the instructions below.
- To receive mail, you will need a mail client that supports IMAP over SSL. It should be configured to connect to acm.poly.edu on port 993 using SSL. You will need to provide your username and password.
- To send mail, you will need a mail client that supports SMTP over TLS and SMTP authentication. It should be configured to connect to acm.poly.edu on either port 25 or 26, using TLS. You will need to provide your username and password.
- To update your website, you will need an SFTP client. It should be configured to connect to acm.poly.edu on port 22. You will need to provide your username and password. After you log in, create a directory called public_html. Its contents will be available on your website.
- The presence of an index.html or index.php file in your public_html directory, or any directory within it, will serve as that directory's default document--that is, its contents will be displayed when someone navigates to that directory.
- Our web server is equipped with a PHP interpreter. PHP code in files with a .php extension will be interpreted.
- We have a MySQL relational database server--with PHP bindings--access to which will be granted upon request.
- To view your website, navigate to http://acm.poly.edu/~username/, where username is the name you use to log in to your account.
- You can obtain a more aesthetically-pleasing URL for your website by filling out a form and submitting it to the Information Systems Department via their helpdesk in RH 337. On the form, state that you would like the domain name of your choosing, something.poly.edu--where something is anything of your choosing deemed appropriate by the powers that be--to point to the IP address 220.127.116.11. After you have submitted the form, contact us and let us know what your desired domain name was so that we can make the appropriate changes to our web server configuration. You may also want to ask the Information Systems Department to notify you when they have completed your request so that you know when your domain name can be used. Once your request has been completed, you will be able to access your web site at http://something.poly.edu/. It should be noted that we have no part in dealing with these requests, and are therefore not responsible for their completion or the amount of time they take.